Here are the roots of the families: Depkowski (Depkowska or Deptowicz or Deptewicz).
Other names of the city:
Briesen, Frideck, Wambrez
Wąbrzeźno is located north of the Vistula river, north from Lipno.
Old documents you can find here:
- Scans: Genealogy in archives
- Scans: FamilySearch by Genealogical Society in Salt Lake, Utah, USA
- Docs: — in the Branch Archive of Toruń State Archive in Włocławek
To be continued…
History of Wąbrzeźno
…At the beginning of the 14th century, a revitalization of the church and the city was begun, led by the then-current Bishop of Chełmno, Herman von Prizna. A wall was also constructed around the city to further its protection, and a castle was constructed in the city’s northwestern corner. However, the city, the wall, the surrounding villages, and the castle were all completely destroyed in the Thirteen Years’ War between the Teutonic Knights and the Poles. Afterwards, all of these were reconstructed, and the castle at Wambresia served as the official residence of the Bishops until 1773.
After the end of the Thirteen Years’ War, which ended with the Second Peace of Thorn (1466), the city became part of Poland, as part of the province of Royal Prussia.
The city was again totally destroyed, this time in 1655 by Swedes during the second Polish-Swedish war. A major portion of the city also burned down in a devastating fire in 1700.
After the First Partition of Poland in 1772, the city became a possession of the Prussian Kingdom, and between 1807 and 1815, the city was part of the Duchy of Warsaw. In 1788, the city was renamed Briesen, which is still referred to in German. Another devastating fire destroyed much of the city in 1792, after which the city’s castle was used to supply stones for the rebuilding of the destroyed areas of town.
The residents of the city, mostly made their living through agriculture and brewing. Industrialization arrived in the middle of the 19th century. Industrial development flourished in the city due to its location and its access to railroads. By 1900, the city contained cement factories, as well as automotive and mechanical engineering centers. Along with this the traditional industries of the town were also modernized, with state-of-the-art breweries and creameries taking shape…